Monday, November 30, 2009

Our Political views

Ms B and I have historically had polarised political views.

I have traditionally been a Coalition voter (conservative and to the right) , whereas Ms B would always vote for the Australian Labor Party (liberal and to the left).


From what I know the Chinese community in Australia had previously been staunch Coalition voters, but that was back in the day when most Australian Chinese originated from Hong Kong.

Since the influx of mainland Chinese, and in particular in response to the previous Prime Minister's (Bob Hawke) granting of visas in the wake of the Tianemen Square protests, Chinese have been more closely alligned with Labor.

This has been especially so since our current Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, who is from the Australian Labor Party, also speaks very fluent mandarin, and was ambassador to China for some time.

Well, today the political map in Australia had been turned upside down.

The Coalition did the unthinkable and rebelled against legislation for an Emmissions Trading Scheme. In essence, the Coalition dumped their moderate leader Malcolm Turnbull, they have refused to support any legislation to control carbon emmissions (to slow down global warming), and have voted in a new leader who is the most conservative, right-wing and most unpopular leader in living memory.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in fact a climate change sceptic, and I genuinely do not believe that the earth's temperature is rising due to CO2.

But I also realise that if I am wrong that the outcome could be catastrophic, so we do need an insurance policy.

So a scheme to reduce carbon emmissions is common sense.

Now I am faced with a new opposition leader that resembles a right-wing Facist rather than a leader that can unify a nation.

The new leader, Tony Abbott, articulates poorly, he has a very annoying stutter and his views are out-dated and not of this era.

So if we go to an election, I may very well be voting alongside Ms B, for the Australian Labor Party.

I would imagine that this would be the case for the majority of Australians.

No comments:

What do you like/dislike most about Chinese women?